What Information Do We Collect?
We collect the following types of information from our users:
Information You Provide to Us:
We collect Personally Identifiable Information that you choose to provide to us when you interact with our Sites. For example, if you sign up for our mailing list or for push notifications, you may be asked for your name and email address, and we will collect this information from you.
Information We Collect About You:
- Third Party Services. As mentioned above, we may allow you to link your accounts with Third Party Services such as Facebook and Twitter to our Sites (“Social Network Accounts”). If you link your Social Network Accounts to our Sites, we may receive information from the Third Party Service about you. Any information we receive from the Third Party Service will be governed by the terms and conditions of the Third Party Service and by the privacy controls you have set on your Social Network Account with that Third Party Service. The Third Party Service may also have access to information you provide to us or activities that you carry out on our Sites while logged into your Social Network Account with that Third Party Service, and this access will be governed by the terms and conditions of the Third Party Service and by the privacy controls you have set on your Social Network Account with that Third Party Service. We encourage you to review the policies of your Third Party Service before linking your Social Network Account.
- Email Communications. If you send us an email that we reply to, or have subscribed to our newsletter or a similar service that allows us to send you emails, we may receive email activity data from your email provider and may share it with Hive, our mailing list management vendor. We use this data to understand and enhance our email communications and the Sites. If you do not want to receive email from us, you can unsubscribe by clicking the "unsubscribe" link in any email we send to you. Please note that you cannot unsubscribe from certain communications from us, such as administrative information regarding the Sites.
- Third Party Companies. We may obtain demographic and interest data from third party companies who specialize in collecting such consumer information. We use this data and combine it with other information we have about you to help us predict your preferences, to better direct the marketing efforts of us and our business partners, to improve our product development, and to help us better analyze user information for internal business purposes.
How We Collect Information From You
We use several methods to collect information from you. As mentioned above, we use Google Analytics to collect many types of Site usage information, and you can learn more about Google Analytics here. In addition, we may use:
Our authorized third party partners may ask us to set and access cookies on your browser, or may directly place their cookies on your browser. We do not allow our third party partners to set and access cookies on our Sites without our permission
- Device Identifiers. When you access our Sites via a mobile device such as a smartphone, we may collect data using or linked to unique identifiers that are assigned to your mobile device, which are called device identifiers. You can limit the use of device identifiers by accessing your device’s settings and limiting the use of device identifiers or resetting your device’s identifiers.
- GIFs. When you visit our Sites, we may collect data using clear GIFs (also known as web beacons or pixel tags) and similar technologies. We may also use clear GIFs in our communications with you (such as emails) to track information such as whether you have received and opened our communication. A clear GIF is typically a one-pixel, transparent image (although it can be a visible image as well), located on a web page or in an email or other type of message, which is retrieved from a remote site on the Internet, enabling the verification of an individual’s viewing or receipt of a web page or message. A clear GIF may enable us to relate your viewing or receipt of a web page or message to other information about you, including your Personally Identifiable Information.
- HTTP Referrer. When you visit our Sites, we may collect data using an HTTP referrer, which transmits information from a web browser to a destination webpage. HTTP referrers may contain information about the browser or operating system of the device that you are using to access the Site.
- Location Information. If you are accessing our Sites via a mobile device, we may collect your geographic location. You can limit our access to your geographic location by going to your device’s settings.
How We Use Information We Collect About You
We use information we collect from you to provide you with access to the Sites and with other services and features. For example, if you subscribe to our mailing list, we may use your email address to deliver the mailing list. Other uses include:
- Maintaining and improving Site operations and service and content offerings hosted on the Site
- Personalizing and optimizing the content shown to you when you visit the Sites
- Administering to advertising, marketing, and promotional campaigns (run by us or by our business partners) for which you sign up or otherwise consent to participate in, such as sweepstakes, surveys, and special offers or announcements offered by us or by our business partners, and assessing and tracking effectiveness of these campaigns
- Responding to user feedback and other user inquiries
- Processing a transaction that you initiate with us or with our business partners through the Sites
- Internal uses such as market and content offering analysis
Will We Share Any of the Information We Receive?
We share your Personally Identifiable Information with:
Our ComplexCon Partner. ComplexCon is jointly owned and operated by Complex and Reed Exhibitions, a division of RELX Inc. (“Reed Exhibitions”). We will share your Personally Identifiable Information with Reed Exhibitions in order to manage and administer ComplexCon and to provide you with related communications and services. More information about Reed Exhibitions’ use of your Personally Identifiable Information (including how to opt-out from receiving communications) is available here.
Our Corporate Parents and Affiliates. We may share your Personally Identifiable Information with our Affiliates and with our parent companies (Verizon and Hearst) and any of their affiliates.
Third Parties Receiving Aggregated Information. We may share or disclose your aggregated, anonymized or de-identified data with our service providers and business partners for business and marketing uses, including the development of business and marketing reports and strategy. These service providers and business partners may also share with us aggregated, anonymized or de-identified information about you so that we can develop business and marketing reports and strategy for them. We may combine the aggregated, anonymized or de-identified information we receive from our business partners with your Personally Identifiable Information that we have collected, or with other information we have collected that in combination could identify you.
Third Party Campaigns and Events. We may let you know via content posted to the Sites about advertising, marketing, or promotional campaigns or events run by third parties. The campaigns or events may involve third-party goods or services. You may participate in such a campaign or event via our Sites or on a different website that is linked to/from our Sites. If you participate in the campaign or event, we may share your Personally Identifiable Information with these third party companies.
Third-Party Service Providers. We use third-party service providers to provide certain products, services, and Site features on our behalf (such as sending emails or processing credit cards) and need to share your information with them to provide those products, services, or features to you. We require that our third-party service providers maintain the confidentiality of your Personally Identifiable Information and do not use it for any reason except to carry out the functions that we task them to carry out.
Third Parties Conducting Contests and Sweepstakes. If you have entered a contest or sweepstakes sponsored by a third party, we may share the information you provide with that third party for any purpose that you have consented to under the terms of the contest or sweepstakes. You should read the terms for participating in the contest or sweepstakes carefully, and should not enter the contest or sweepstakes if you do not agree to how your information will be shared or used under those terms. In addition, the privacy policies of such third party companies may apply to their use and disclosure of your information.
Third Parties Involved in Protecting Us and Others. We may disclose your Personally Identifiable Information when we believe in good faith that the disclosure is necessary to: comply with a law, regulation, legal or regulatory process (including investigations), subpoena, warrant, or other legal order; to enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other Site policies; or protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our employees, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction, and for debt collection.
Is Personally Identifiable Information About Me Secure?
We use industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personally Identifiable Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure and we cannot guarantee absolute security or your Personally Identifiable Information.
The Sites are not intended for use by children, especially those under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personally Identifiable Information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for Site features.
If you are a visitor or user from the European Economic Area, we will only collect and use your personal data (as defined under Regulation 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (“GDPR”)) when we have a legal basis for doing so.
The legal basis on which we rely will depend on the type of personal data we collect and the specific context in which we are collecting it. We will make clear to you when we are collecting personal data from you, and when and as required under GDPR, we will request your affirmative consent to the collection of your personal data, prior to collecting it. We will also make clear to you when such collection of your personal data is required (for example, because we have a legal obligation to do so, or because we cannot provide a service to you without collecting your personal data), and what are the consequences of your declining to allow us to collect your personal data.
If you have any questions about our collection and use of your personal data, please contact us at email@example.com. Any requests to delete your personal data may be sent to the above email.
What Choices Do I Have?
If you have provided Personally Identifiable Information as part of using your Social Networking Account with a Third Party Service, you must change or access your Personally Identifiable Information via your Social Networking Account with that Third Party Service. You will not be able to access or change such Personally Identifiable Information via our Sites.
If you want to limit the types of data that we collect about you via Google Analytics, you may be able to do so via Google’s functionality. You can find out more at Google’s site.
If you have provided Personally Identifiable Information directly to third-party companies with whom we conduct business, you should also consult the privacy policies of these third-party companies for how your Personally Identifiable Information may be used and how you may restrict its use or opt out of receiving communications from these third-party companies.
If you do not want to receive communications to your mobile device from us (such as text or SMS messages), you may opt out of these messages by replying “STOP” or following the instructions provided in the message.
If you do not want to receive push notifications on your mobile device about our Sites, you can go to your device’s settings and opt out of receiving push notifications from us.
If you are accessing our Sites via a mobile device and do not want us to collect your location information, you can go to your device’s settings and opt out of providing your location information to us.
Please note that some of the opt-outs described above use browser cookies or device controls, and are specific to the browser or device you are using to access our Sites. If you buy a new device, change browsers, or delete browser cookies, these actions can change your previous opt-out settings and you may need to opt out again. In addition, disabling all cookies may prevent you from using certain features on our Sites that require cookies to function.
California & Canadian Users: Your California Privacy Rights.
If you are located outside of the United States, please note that the information you provide to us will be transferred to and processed in the United States, where laws regarding processing of Personally Identifiable Information may be less stringent than the laws in your country.
Questions or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy while using the Sites, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns.
Effective Date: May 09, 2019